Years ago I had to connect to SAP from within a Notes web application. I used the Lotus Connector for SAP solutions for it, but I wasn’t really happy with it.
One reason was that the “in between” code was written by another person and I didn’t quite understand what was going on. It was more or less a black box and I was loosing days figuring out what went wrong if reading or writing data didn’t work.
Another reason was: I think it costs a lot of money (and if I’m informed well enough, on a yearly basis), although it wasn’t mine, but the company I was working for that payed for it.
This year I had to make another connection to SAP, but this time I didn’t want to use the Lotus Connector. I believed it must be possible to use SAP’s own free solution for it: SAP JCo.
Believing this costed me a lot of sweat, because it’s not really documented anywhere how to use it with Domino and I’m not a Java guy. But apart from the Java part that was rather new to me, getting it to work in the first place wasn’t simple, and this is what I found out what works. It’s in the first place a matter of putting the files on the right place, and the locations mentioned below were found out with a lot of trial and error.
A little warning: use this at your own risk and make sure you try it on your development/test server first!
- Download and extract the latest version of the installation files from SAPNet. You will need to have a username/password for this, so ask your SAP collegues to download it for you.
- Copy librfc32.dll and sapjcorfc.dll to the Domino program directory
- Copy sapjco.jar to [Domino program directory]/jvm/lib/ext
- Restart the Domino server.
If you want to learn more about how to work with it, there’s sample data and documentation in the installation zip (don’t ask me about the programming, I got it to work thanks to a lot of assistance of the Java collegues).
For web applications I read data using a WebQueryOpen agent and wrote data using a WebQuerySave agent.